Rhode Island Disorderly Conduct Lawyer
One of the most frequently charged crimes in Rhode Island is Disorderly Conduct. While this may seem like a minor crime, a disorderly conduct arrest is something you must take very seriously. Allow our attorneys to defend you so that your arrest for disorderly conduct doesn't affect your future.
Disorderly Conduct, R.I. Gen. Law 11-45-1, is a broad statute that criminalizes various actions. Rhode Island's disorderly conduct law criminalizes the behavior of anyone who:
- Fights or acts in a violent manner.
- Disturbs others by making loud and unreasonable noise.
- Makes offensive statements that are likely to provoke a violent reaction to another person in public.
- Obstructs a public area, including streets, waterways, building entrances, hallways, and staircases.
- Interferes with a lawful meeting or gathering.
- Looks into another person's windows for a lascivious purpose.
- Looks into an area for a lascivious purpose where another would have an expectation of privacy.
Most often, individuals are charged with disorderly conduct for acting in a violent manner or disturbing others by making loud and unreasonable noise. A conviction for disorderly conduct can result in imprisonment for up to six (6) months and/or a fine of up to $500. This can stay on your criminal record for five (5) years!
Disorderly Conduct is one of the most overcharged crimes in Rhode Island. If you've been arrested for disorderly conduct in Rhode Island, you need an experienced criminal defense attorney to fight for you. While the disorderly conduct is broad, there are many defenses that we can raise on your behalf. For instance, a police officer's opinion of "disorderly" often differs from the legal definition or fails to consider your rights, including First Amendment (Free Speech) rights. Our attorneys see these cases everyday, know the case law, all available defenses, and know how to beat a disorderly conduct charge.
We can successfully defend your disorderly conduct charge and will expunge the charge from your record for you! Allow the Rhode Island disorderly conduct attorneys at Robert E. Craven & Associates who regularly defend these matters in all Rhode Island courts to fight for you!